Tamanu Oil & Its Origin
Tamanu oil comes from the fruit of the tamanu tree. The oil has been used for hundreds of years to clear up essentially any skin condition. It is a knowledge that's been forgotten, but the benefits of tamanu oil are slowly being realized again & are trending worldwide. Tamanu tree flowers twice a year & produces a small fruit that contains a large nut which can be processed into tamanu oil. To get at this precious oil, nuts are left to dry under the sun for about 4 to 6 weeks. As the nut begins to dry, a dark green, sticky oil will form on the surface that can be extracted.
Characteristics of Tamanu Oil
Tamanu oil naturally has a very strong herbal or curry scent. The oil is greenish in color & may look a bit murky. Nevertheless, it should not & does not clog pores. It can be applied on the whole body, including face as it absorbs quickly & easily into the skin without leaving greasy residue behind.
Benefits of Tamanu Oil
- Powerful antibacterial. Tamanu oil is well known for its antibacterial properties due to numerous of its beneficial acids.
- Good antifungal properties. Not every skin problem is caused by bacteria, common fungal infection such as ringworm & athlete's foot can be treated with tamanu oil.
- Reduces inflammation. Tamanu oil contains calophyllolide, it’s a natural anti-inflammatory agent which helps to calm down swelling, rashes, insect bites & even eczema.
- Amazing healing oil. This is its most valued benefit; promoting the formation of new tissues, medically known as cicatrisation. It has been scientifically proven that tamanu oil can provide your skin with the nutrients it really needs to regenerate new tissues & heal itself quickly.
- Deep healing. Most natural oils can absorb into the top layer of your skin, but few will penetrate through all three layers (the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis) to heal from within. Hence, this is what makes tamanu oil an amazing healer.
- Anti-aging oil. Tamanu is rich with numerous antioxidants to fight off free radicals. It’s also rich in fatty acids to nourish & moisturize the skin. Recent studies also shown that tamanu oil helps to promote collagen production.
Shea Terra Organics’s Tamanu Oil
Our tamanu oil is extracted traditionally via cold pressing the tamanu nuts that have been cured under the sun for a month. Commercialized tamanu oil is often extracted chemically via hexane because it's quicker, inexpensive & able to extract more oils compared to the traditional cold pressed method. But this method will leave some hexane in the oils & may be harmful instead.
Our widely popular tamanu oil originated from the coastal Vohibola Forest in Madagascar. Although tamanu tree can be grown inland but based on tradition, tamanu trees that grow on coastal, sandy soil produces the highest quality oil. For 85 million years, the wildlife of Madagascar evolved in isolation from the rest of the world, making it one of the most biodiversified place in the world with unique subspecies of plants & animals. It is most certainly a botanical treasure house.
Madagascar's environment is one of the cleanest in the world. Heavy metal, toxins & other pollutant are rarely found in Madagascar as it is an underdeveloped nation. Additionally, most Madagascan farmers uses traditional farming methods without chemical fertilizer, pesticides & herbicides because they cannot afford modern farming. Hence, the plants there are grown organically by default which leads to superior quality harvest.
But due to deforestation, the Vohibola Forest is now one of the last piece of coastal forest left in Madagascar with its own unique species of tamanu trees. By purchasing Shea Terra Organics’s tamanu oil, you are also helping to preserve this last piece of botanical treasure house because a lot of people’s livelihood is heavily dependent on this forest.